Thursday, January 14, 2010

Introduction

This is the true story about a university graduate attending college.
My name is LT. I have spent the last 22 years of my life overachieving. That’s not to say that I didn’t slack. In fact, I spent a good amount of my time enjoying my youth and doing what was necessary, but still always sat above the curve. After destroying high school, off I went to university. Of course, this was a big shock, as now I was on a level playing field. Post 4 years of university, I applied to law school. This did not work out in my favour, and I was encouraged to take a year off to either work, or advance my studies, and then reapply for the next academic year. So I did. I spent a half a year working in a sales job in the city home to my university. But alas, the real world scared me, and I decided to apply to the college within the city. Let me first explain the difference between Canadian colleges and universities. In order to avoid sounding like an asshole, I found an explanation of the difference online:
Colleges
Colleges of applied arts and technology have full-time and part-time diploma and certificate programs. Many also offer Bachelor degrees in applied areas of study.

Colleges tend to be more directly career-oriented than universities.

Universities
Universities are institutions that can grant degrees. All universities have undergraduate (bachelor's) degrees, and many have graduate (Master's and doctoral) programs. Universities in Ontario are independent. Although they receive funding from the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities, each institution is self-governing and regulates its own programs, admissions and faculty.

Many universities also offer professional programs, such as medicine, dentistry and law. In some cases, you can begin these programs after 2 or 3 years of undergraduate study.
source: http://www.settlement.org/sys/faqs_detail.asp?faq_id=4001136
At the risk of sounding pretentious, college is the more practical, and somewhat lower level of higher education. Point being, I am smarter than everyone at college.
Criticize me as you will, I can take it. So after applying to a marketing program at college, here I am. I quit my job, and have jumped from a working university grad, to a college student. Because of my degree, I am starting mid-year of the last year or a 3 year program. Everyone else here is in semester 5 of 6 (3 years) and I am in semester one. This is the story of my experience at college.

No comments:

Post a Comment